There’s a couple of things I’ve noticed when I visit other blogs-
- Not everyone has a social media account for their blog
- Not everyone that has a social media account for their blog has them connected
If you’re in the first group you might wonder, why would I want a social media account for my blog? I get it, besides my blog I had a personal Facebook page and a Pinterest account and that was enough for me. There are a few reasons why you should consider creating other social media accounts for your blog-
- The rest of the world is on it! This is free blog exposure you’re missing out on! It doesn’t take much to set up a Facebook page or Twitter account for your blog and share that page with your friends. They’ll start to like it and your blog will start to get exposure to friends of friends.
- The more places your blog can be found online, the more chances of increasing your audience! Not only that but the bigger your online presence the higher up you’ll be when people search things on the web. You’ll start to generate traffic by people searching keywords that directs them to your blog.
- Give your readers a chance to know more about you outside of your posts. Upload a quick picture or share a quick update about something that you won’t write a whole post about.
Then there’s the second point, those that have their blogs on other social media platforms but haven’t connected them. You’re doing yourself an injustice! Here are some reasons you want to consider connecting the other social media accounts to your blog-
- You make it easier for your current audience to follow you. A post might get missed in the WordPress Reader but it might come up on their Facebook or Twitter feed.
- It’s free publicity! You’re able to sync your accounts to your blog so they post across social media simultaneously. That means
minimalno effort to increase the exposure of each post!
- Not only can you share your post but your readers can too! It makes it easier for them to share your post with their friends by clicking an icon. Not all bloggers like to reblog. Whether they keep up a posting schedule or they just don’t feel comfortable sharing other content on their blog. Make it easier not only for them to share but to redirect others to your social media directly by having it linked to your blog!
- You get exposure to non-bloggers or bloggers that aren’t on the same platform as you.
So if you aren’t on other social media platforms and you want to increase your readership, you might want to start expanding your blog presence on the web! For some bloggers time might be a deterrent. Whether it be the time to set up the accounts or the time to maintain them. If you put the initial investment in the time to set it up, the maintenance part is easy. You can either sync your social media to your blog and just let the posts be the updates or just pick one day a week to upload a picture, quote or just update your status across all platforms. To make life easier, there are even ways to update across accounts simultaneously. Personally I’m not using this option but I might consider it at some point. Here’s an article I found that might help if you’re interested in it.
For other bloggers technology might be the culprit keeping you from expanding into cyber territory. When all else fails, Google! You can find a tutorial for just about anything! You can go to this page and click on the social media that you want to connect to your blog. You can add icons to your sidebar and even include live streams so that updates post to your blog in real time. Some tutorials have videos available, if you are a visual learner that prefers a video than step by step directions in a post, check out YouTube for tutorials. Creating an account with most sites is usually pretty simple, consisting of creating a username, password and entering your email address in most cases. If you need help, feel free to contact me, I’d be happy to help you or at least point you in the right direction.
Here are my social media accounts, I’d love to connect with you on other platforms if we haven’t already!
Speaking of social media, have you stopped by the new Facebook community I’m building? This is a place to showcase and celebrate kindness around you. Each week there’s a prompt to look out for kindness and post about it. This is picking up where The Kindness Challenge left off.
Are there any points I missed as to why a blogger would want to connect their social media to their blog? Are you already on social media for your blog? What social media accounts do you have? Does you notice traffic coming from social media in your stats? If you aren’t on other social media platforms, has this made you consider it? For those that are, share your social media details in the comments so you can connect with other bloggers!